Cross-linked polyethylene molecular chains (PEX) are formed into plastic tubing which you can use to solve a number of plumbing and heating problems. Since its invention within the 1960’s, HDPE pipe fittings is traditionally used in Europe. Previously ten to fifteen years, it has become popular in the states. The fabric is touted as more flexible, more affordable, and better at withstanding extreme temperature than copper or CPVC pipe. PEX pipe can withstand temperatures as much as just under boiling (200 degrees Fahrenheit, 12 degrees below boiling) and as low as before freezing. PEX-a is considered the most flexible type of PEX and will be able to expand in freezing temperatures and then return to form, whereas copper pipe will burst, causing huge problems in your system.
Three grades of PEX tubing are produced, each made through a different production process. PEX-a, created using the Engel method, is known as the strongest and the majority of flexible of your three grades. PEX-b, made with the Silane method, can also be relatively strong and versatile. PEX-c, made by the electronic beam method, is actually a more brittle material, making it more difficult to do business with. Regardless of what grade you decide on, you will find PEX products like tube cutters and PEX uncoilers that make the content easier to manage during installation.
Important details to know when purchasing PEX tubing:
1. Are you gonna be while using tubing for a plumbing or heating application?
2. What size tubing are you going to need? The accessible sizes typically vary from 5/16″ to 4″. Some applications require specific sizes; for example, only Quik Trak are only able to be installed with 5/16″ tubing.
3. Do you wish to color code your plumbing system for quick reference? Red, white and blue tubing are accessible for this purpose. There is absolutely no difference in the functionality, but red is typically employed for hot lines and blue for cold.
4. What duration of tubing would you like to need? Tubing can typically be obtained in coils of 50-1200 ft. The amount of tubing needed will depend on the size of the location you are installing and also the loop lengths.
5. What grade of PEX material would you like to need? HDPE pipe fittings is available in three material grades PEX-a, PEX-b, and PEX-c as pointed out above. Should you be within a region that gets very cold, you should utilize PEX-a in order to avoid the risk of your pipes bursting in case the pipes freeze. You will also need to use PEX-a when you purchase the ProPEX Expander system because only PEX-a is flexible enough to go back to form and make up a secure fitting after being expanded.
6. What tubing type is necessary for the specific application? Three of the tubing types are oxygen barrier, non-oxygen barrier, and aluminum PEX. Oxygen barrier tubing is generally useful for heating applications, and helps in order to avoid iron components, including cast iron pumps, from rusting. The key benefit Aluminum PEX, or PEX-AL-PEX, is hdpep1pe it holds its shape when bent. PEX-AL-PEX is generally employed for high-temperature applications, including baseboard.
When taking care of a PEX project, whether it be for a heating or plumbing system, you might need a variety of products in addition to PEX tubing. PEX fittings (specialized parts created for connecting PEX to PEX or PEX to copper) and PEX tools (tools designed specifically to use PEX products) will likely be crucial to the achievements of your heating or plumbing project. You will additionally need a PEX radiant heat manifold or PEX plumbing manifold and also insulation, thermostats other installation parts. controls for example thermostats, as well as heat insulation is also purchased. Radiant heat and PEX plumbing starter packages can be found online to make it easier for DIYers to acquire everything they need for his or her project in a single.
Plumbing and heating problems have already been solved using PEX-AL-PEX pipe. These items are produced by using a polymer material that is flexible, less expensive and much better able to sustain extreme temperatures than copper or CPVC pipe. There are several options to consider when planning your project and it is very important choose parts that happen to be compatible with all the current other places you may have chosen with your computer. Consider PEX tubing and PEX products for your next heating or plumbing job.